Wednesday, May 30, 2012

making stuff or making people want stuff...that you've made

I haven't posted anything on here for over a year now. Mostly because a lot of things I've come across I've started posting onto our work blog / posterous, which serves multiple purposes, not least some one upmanship and the opportunity to be lambasted by Lord Clark of Brussels. I've also been writing privately on 750 words, which is excellent and warrants a post of it's own - user generated content for no one but yourself, but with some excellent analytics tools that let on much about what's going on inside your head.

All that aside, I came across a great presentation on Slide Share that tackles the conundrum of creating value vs creating desire. It usually helps to see these types of things presented by the author, but this one actually reads nicely without the theatrics.

There's a nice part of this presentation about not focusing on your target audience, but instead focusing on the space between your target audiences (or users - as the author points out). I do have a problem with the term user, myself, and a colleague has started referring to our target audiences as participants, which I think is a lot clearer and a little more respectful. (My brother is a user...it's not pleasant).

Anyway, I'm posting this because I thought it was interesting and it ties in with some thinking we've been doing at our place on targeting influencers as a route for our clients.

No comments: