Sunday, November 05, 2006

blub 2.0

Interesting article about the likelihood of another dot.com boom and bust. This has been on my mind recently, more so since Google bought out YouTube (how do they make their money?). Still, I'm not so sure the conditions are as wreckless as they once were. All of the clients I work with see their web presence as a revenue stream, pure and simple. If it doesnt earn its keep, they fix it so it does. Venture capitalists, or larger companies seeking acquisitions, are looking at online start ups in exactly the same way, demanding straight answers to the most fundamental questions:
- Who are you targeting with your business?
- How do you plan to this traffic to your online channel?
- How are hoping to convert these visits to sales?
- How much will this cost to set up over the next five years, and how much return will i see over the same period?

To be honest, if people arent asking these questions, then I guess they're looking for trouble

One interesting footnote that struck me the other day was reading an article about social networking sites, where they referred to "Rupert Murdch's MySpace". I wonder how much that's worth?

No comments: